Mouthwash or Oral rinse is one home treatment that can help numb toothache. This is mainly due to the alcohol content of these mouthwashes. Benzocaine-containing pastes, gel, or oral rinse are very effective for toothache but they are not suitable for infants or children under the age of two.
This also means that alcohol can help numb toothache. Although using alcohol may seem extreme, I do not advocate that you try to become drunk while suffering from a toothache. In fact, you should not consume any form of alcohol because it will interact negatively with the medications you’re taking.
Recommended: Is Tooth Extraction a Simple Procedure?
Read on to find out how to use mouthwash or alcohol to numb toothache, some mouthwashes recommended to numb toothache and some tips to stop toothache at night for a better sleep.
How To Use Mouthwash or Alcohol To Numb Toothache
The most common method of applying the mouthwash or alcohol is to dab it on both sides of the problematic tooth with your finger. You can also use alcohol or mouthwash-impregnated handkerchief and place it between your gums and the inside of your cheek. This can numb a larger region than simply dabbing on the tooth, and it can aid in severe cases when the pain is more widespread than focused on a single tooth.
Recommended: 6 Major Causes of Toothache, Their Solution And Prevention
Using alcohol as a mouthwash is the second approach to utilizing whiskey and brandy to relieve toothache. This can be difficult to achieve because these drinks are quite strong and appear to burn the inside of your mouth as you swish them about. However, 30 seconds of rinsing with a powerful spirit will provide you with some relief from the toothache.
You must not consume alcohol because it will worsen your problem. Whenever you meet with your dentist, you must be able to take any medication he recommends. Many of these medicines make it impossible to drink alcohol at the same time as they don’t go well together.
7 Mouthwashes That Can Numb Toothache
Mouthwashes containing alcohol are the best for numbing toothache. Below are the best selling and most recommended mouthwashes for toothache:
- Orajel Analgesic & Astringent Rinse for Toothache Soothing Mint
- Listerine Mouthwash
- Orajel Soothing Toothache Rinse
- AlkaCare Natural Clear Mouthwash
- Cavity-X Clove Toothache Mouthwash
- Tom’s of Maine Natural Wicked Fresh Mouthwash
- Smartmouth mouthwash
Recommended: What Can Expired Mouthwash Be Used For?
5 Tips To Getting Rid Of Toothache At Night
Pain management is typically used to treat a toothache at home. Here are some suggestions for relieving discomfort and getting a good night’s sleep:
- Mouthwash should be used to clean your teeth. To disinfect and numb your teeth, use alcohol-based mouthwash.
- Use a pain reliever that is available over-the-counter. Minor toothache pain can be relieved with drugs such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), acetaminophen (Tylenol), and aspirin. Numbing mouthwashes, pastes, or gels, commonly containing benzocaine, can help you sleep by temporarily dulling the discomfort. To treat infants or children under the age of two, do not use any benzocaine-containing products!
- Maintain an elevated position for your head. Blood will not rush to your head if you prop your head higher than your body. Blood pooling in your brain can aggravate the toothache and keep you awake at night.
- Before going to bed, avoid consuming acidic, cold, or hard meals. These foods might irritate your teeth and whatever cavities you may already have. Foods that cause pain should be avoided.
- Before going to bed, apply an ice pack. Wrap an ice pack in a piece of cloth and place it on the painful side of your face. This can help you relax by numbing the ache.
Recommended: Top 5 Warning Signs Of Periodontal Disease
Mouthwash can be used to numb toothache. Although, not all mouthwashes can numb toothache but mouthwashes containing alcohol. Alcohols like brandy or whiskey can also numb toothache.
Numbing your toothache only gives short term relief. So, it is paramount you see your dentist as soon as possible.