The health benefits of Walnuts extends to the cardiovascular system (heart), cancer, skeletal system (bones), inflammation, metabolism, astringency (soft tissue binding), diabetes, the skin, sleep, brain, stress, weight loss, and mood boosting.. Walnuts are healthy, sweet and natural snack. Before I go on to show you how walnuts are able to do all these, let’s find out what walnuts are and their nutritional information…
What Are Walnuts?
Walnuts are single-seeded, strong, round fruits with edible seeds and belong to the trees; Juglans genus. The fruits are enclosed in a thick husk. The kernel is then covered by a hard wrinkly shell. The meat is segmented into two portions separated by a thin membrane. The surface structure of the walnut has a crinkly appearance like that of the brain. Some people also refer to it as brain food because of its appearance. There are two types of walnuts;
- Black walnuts and
For the purpose of the article, We shall be considering the brown walnuts.
Walnuts are delicious and crunchy. They are widely used in cookies, cakes, granola, cereals, energy bars, and the ever-popular banana walnut bread. Walnut flours are also used for baking. Walnut oil is a rich emollient fortified with anti-aging properties.
Also Read: 10 Surprising Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts You May Not Know
In years past, people believed that the human brain can be improved by eating walnuts even though they had no proof. However, recent studies have proven that walnuts actually improve the functioning of the human brain.
What Are The Nutritional Values Of Walnuts?
Would you believe me if I told walnuts are of the healthiest natural snacks in the world? Fortified with nutrients and antioxidants; walnuts are just too healthy for you. The nutritional values of walnuts below are based on 100 grams of serving
Vitamin B6——0.54 mg
And many more…
These nutritional values can tell you how much good walnuts can do for you.
16 Surprising Health Benefits Of Walnuts
- Healthy Cardiovascular System: The cardiovascular system can improve more if you eat walnuts. Walnuts are enriched with potassium, oleic acid, omega 3s, alpha-linoleic acid and linoleic acid which is a natural vasodilator for the heart and the coronary arteries. They are very helpful in preventing and managing heart disease and high blood pressure.
- Cancer Prevention: Walnuts are fortified with natural anti-cancer agents (antioxidants). Both the hard shells and the walnut itself contains a lot of phenolic acids. Eating walnuts every day can help you prevent and manage cancer if you already have it.
- Health Bone: Walnuts provide the nutrients needed for bone growth and development. These essential nutrients are copper, zinc, Vitamin B, and calcium. Vitamin B, copper and zinc increases the calcium absorption and retention in the body.
- Promotes Metabolism: Walnuts increase the metabolic rate of the body. The nutrients involved here are magnesium, manganese, calcium, folate, copper, and iron. Walnuts contain fats which help catalise proteins much faster and promote cell and tissue repairs.
- Diabetes Management: Diabetics (especially Type 2 diabetes patients) can benefit from eating walnuts. This is because walnuts have minute sugar and plenty of nutrients and little fat. A recent study conducted in Australia proved that walnut consumption and type-II diabetes have an inverse relation. That is, the higher the walnuts consumed, the better the type 2 diabetes.
- Pregnancy: Walnuts contain vitamin B-complex which is essential for both the pregnant woman and the unborn child.
- Improve Male Fertility: Walnut has a positive impacton male fertility by improving sperm quality, quantity, vitality, and motility. Almost every nut has been found to promote fertility in men.
- Stress Reduction: Magnesium and zinc acts as anti-stress agents. They help the mind relax and think clearly. It provide a combination of these minerals to help keep the brain functioning properly without succumbing to anxiety or stress. Serotonin also helps to lower stress, depression, and anxiety.
- Reduction of Inflammation: A recent study proved that walnuts being rich in phenolic compounds and antioxidants reduce inflammation in all parts of the body and also prevents it from occurring. The phytochemicals present in walnuts show some anti-inflammatory properties against inflammation e.g arthritis.
- Promotes healthy skin: Walnuts contain just the right fats, vitamins( especially vitamin E) and minerals to make your skin look good. Don’t also forget that the anti-aging properties promotes good skin and make you look younger. The shells of walnuts are used by cosmetic brands to create physical exfoliants for the skin. Moreover, the Vitamin B complex acts as astringents and promotes cell and tissue repair.
- Sleep regulation: Walnut consumption promotes melatonin production in the body. Melatonin is a hormone that regulates sleep and wakefulness thereby helping you maintain a healthy sleep cycle. It also stimulates serotonin which works like melatonin when it comes to sleeping cycle.
- Weight Loss: Walnuts contain healthy fats that don’t affect your body weight but rather helps you to lose weight. They also contain a good amount of fiber which promotes digestion and metabolism. The right kind of fat can stimulate the metabolic process and reduce the retention of bad cholesterol and unwanted fat. However, walnuts should be eaten in moderation in order to harness its good benefits. Overeating can result in weight gain and fat retention. Taking walnuts after meals can promote digestion since they contain fibers.
- Astringency: The astringent properties of walnut makes it perfect to use with carrier oils and even in aromatherapy. This also helps reduce the growth of bacteria in the stomach lining and keeps the skin looking healthy.
- Hair Care: Walnuts are also responsible for healthy hair as they strengthen hairfollicles and makes scalp dandruff It also provides thicker, longer and stronger hair. You could also use its husk as a natural highlighter.
- Mood Booster: Lack of omega-3 fatty acids (provided by walnuts) causes hyperactivity, irritability, and tantrums. Walnut is ideal for people suffering from Post-TraumaticStress Disorder (PTSD), who are battling depression and stress after a trauma.
- Brain Health: Like I said at the beginning, walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids, which help improve memory and focus. Omega-3 fatty acids coupled with iodine and selenium ensure optimum functioning of the brain. Walnuts are also known to treat cognitive disorders like dementia and epilepsy.
Read Also: Gain Weight Fast: 5 Proven Healthy And Safe Ways
What Are The Side Effects Of Walnuts?
On average, 7-9 walnuts are considered safe for consumption. However, if you eat the nuts in excess, there are some side effects, which are as follows:
- Allergy:Overconsumption may result in a range of allergic reactions from minor to lethal.
- Digestive issues:Too much consumption of walnut may lead to nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, bloating, and more.
- Weight gain:Although it is a source of good fats, taking too much of this nut can make your weight rise like nuts!
- Pregnancy and lactation:Expecting and nursing women are advised to consume this food in prescribed amounts only. If you desire to increase its dosage, do consult your doctor.
Walnuts are delicious and nutritious natural nuts. Eating these nuts everyday can improve your overall health conditions and prevent future ones. But make sure you consume them in moderation (7 – 10 nuts a day) in order to harness only the good benefits. Walnuts can be integrated into your diet to gain from all the associated health benefits.
Read Also: 6 Natural Tips To Quickly Lose Belly Fat