Zobo drink health benefits are probably too many that you probably don’t know some of them yet. Zobo drink is a popular beverage in Nigeria and Africa at large. It is produced from dried Roselle leaves (Hibiscus Sabdariffa). Its name is derived from the Hausa name of the Hibiscus plant “Zoborodo”. It is bright red in color.
The name originally came from Nigeria, West Africa, however, since the drink started gaining popularity all over the world and it’s now consumed in many places, the drink is now being called in various names. For example, it has been named Sorrel by Caribbean people while in Sudan, people call it Karkade and Mexican prefer to call it Aguas Frescas.
In Nigeria, many people make and sell zobo drink for a living. To date, many people still believe that zobo drink has no health benefit. So, they consume these zobo drinks just to enjoy their sweet taste.
Recommended: Does Zobo Drink Burn Belly Fat?
The nicest thing about making a Zobo drink is that no matter the kind of secondary ingredients you add to the drink, it will still taste pleasant and delicious and appear colorful and thick.
Zobo Juice Nutritional Values
Below is the nutritional breakdown of ordinary zobo drink. This means that the nutritional values can be increased when you add other healthy ingredients. Some of the nutrients provided by this drink includes:
- Vitamin C
- Carotene, etc.
The purpose of this article is to bring to your notice; the zobo drink health benefits and they are:
Zobo drink also contains anti-bacterial properties, rich in water-soluble antioxidants, antioxidants, anti-hypertensive properties, and many more.
13 Solid Zobo Drink Health Benefits You Probably Don’t Know
- Prevention Of Cancer: Hibiscus is a flower naturally enriched with vitamin C, antioxidants and phytochemicals which have proven very effective in the prevention and management of cancer. These essential nutrients ensure healthy growth and repair of cells and tissues of the body. They also boost the immune system thereby supporting the fight against cancer. Zobo also contains Anthocyanins which are anti-cancer compounds.
- Protection Of The kidneys: Zobo protects the kidneys by preventing the accumulation of uric acid and oxalic acids in the kidneys. Uric acid and oxalic acids are risk factors for kidney stones and kidney damage. Zobo drink also reduces the concentration of citrate, calcium, creatinine, tartrate, sodium, potassium and phosphate in the urine thereby preventing kidney problems and promoting normal functioning of the kidneys.
- Prevention Of High Blood Pressure: Hibiscus flower which zobo drink is made from has anti-hypertensive properties. This flower works against the causes of hypertension like high cholesterol. High levels of cholesterol in the body can form plaques in the blood vessels. These plaques cause narrowing or blockage of the blood vessels. This, in turn, leads to hypertension which is also a risk factor for many chronic diseases like stroke, atherosclerosis and heart attack.
- Promotes Blood Production: Recent studies have implicated zobo drink in blood production. This could be due to the fact that Hibiscus leaves are rich in iron which is a key component for erythropoiesis (red blood cell production). It also increases the amount of glutathione (an important antioxidant) and white blood cells. Regular intake of zobo can help prevent anaemia in those who are at risk like sickle-cell patients, women with heavy menstruation, people who lost enough blood due to accident or surgery, etc.
- Prevention Of Diabetes: Zobo drink helps to prevent diabetes and it’s also ideal for the management of diabetes. It controls the amount of sugar in the bloodstream by inhibiting the production of amylase which is an enzyme that breaks down complex carbohydrates and sugars.
- Promotes Weight Loss: Zobo controls appetite and keeps one feeling full for a long time. Do not add sugar or other artificial sweeteners and colourings to zobo drink if you intend to use it to lose weight. Sugar and artificial sweeteners promote weight gain and make the drink ineffective in weight loss. So take unsweetened zobo if you want to lose weight.
Recommended: How To Cook Yam Pepper Soup (5 Different Recipes)
- Aids Digestion: Zobo drink ensures proper digestion of foods while preventing digestive problems like constipation, indigestion and other digestive disorders. It is rich in fibre and this prevents constipation.
- Treatment Of Cough And Cold: Zobo is enriched with vitamin C which helps to keep colds, flu, and cough at bay. Vitamin C boosts the immune system for better protection against such diseases and others. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties which relieve cough and cold.
- Boosts The Immune System: Zobo is rich in vital nutrients like vitamin C, and other vital minerals that boost the immune strength. Taking zobo regularly will help increase the levels of vitamin and vital minerals in the body that boost immune functions.
- Prevention Of Fatigue: Zobo drink is rich in riboflavin which is a water-soluble vitamin that helps the body produce energy thereby preventing fatigue.
- Supports The Nervous System: Vitamin B1 or thiamine contained in Zobo drink helps to maintain a healthy nervous system along with vitamin B2. Also, it helps to improve the cardiovascular function in our body. It is a part of the water-soluble vitamins which useful to break down protein and fats. It promotes a healthy nervous system, hair, eyes, liver, and mouth.
- Promotes Good Vision: Zobo contains carotene which the body converts to vitamin A. Vitamin A protects the eyes and supports healthy vision. It maintains a healthy mucous membrane and prevents eye diseases related to ageing.
Recommended: Healthy Chicken Avocado Salad Recipe (With Video)
- Aids In Bone Formation & Development: Zobo is rich in calcium which is essential for the formation of strong bones and prevention of osteoporosis and other bone diseases. Calcium is also needed by other important organs in the body like the heart, the muscles, and the teeth. Many other metabolic activities in the body require calcium.
Zobo Drink For Weight Loss
Many people often talk about using the zobo drink for weight loss. If you’re fat or obese and want to lose weight, Zobo drink is for you but know what kind of Zobo we’re talking about here. Artificial sweeteners and sugar are not in the sweetened ones. We’re talking about the simple drink of raw zobo. The effectiveness of zobo drink for weight loss is backed up by scientific findings.
Another research also pointed out the effectiveness of zobo drink for weight loss. Based on the research, fat metabolism was found to increase on the administration of hibiscus extracts resulting in weight reduction.
Using zobo drink for weight loss is another important health benefits of this dark drink. Through restricting the food you eat, you can try to control your weight. It’s not just the food you eat which causes weight gain, but if you want to lose weight, you have to watch what you drink. While we agree that fruit juices and energy drinks are safe, many of them have added sugars and other ingredients that can impact your weight loss plan badly.
Furthermore, if you want to reduce your body weight, you need to consume drinks that are calorie-free and that will boost your body metabolism.
In addition, Loss of appetite is sometimes related to your digestive system. Zobo drink contains numerous minerals and vitamins like calcium, carotene, iron, free-caffeine, fibre, and so on. These minerals and vitamins can help restore your digestive system thereby restoring your appetite. Due to the anti-bacterial properties of zobo, any worm and bacteria in your digestive system can be overcome.
You May Also Like:
You can now see that the zobo drink health benefits are much more than you ever imagined and research is still ongoing. Zobo drink is good for overall health because it contains lots of vitamins and minerals that promotes body functions and boosts the overall health of the body.
Drinking ordinary zobo (zobo without sweeteners) daily is good for your health!